Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Belfast Live
Belfast Live
National
Alan Erwin

Belfast man appears in court over alleged machete attack

A Belfast man was remanded in custody on Monday charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm while armed with a machete.

John Scott, 30, is accused of launching an assault last month on another man at a flat on Great Victoria Street in the city centre .

The 37-year-old alleged victim needed hospital treatment for his injuries, police said. Scott, of Great Victoria Street , was arrested at the weekend by detectives investigating the suspected attack on August 3.

He is charged with aggravated burglary and causing grievous bodily harm with intent. Scott also faces a further count of possessing an offensive weapon, namely a machete or large knife, with intent to commit an indictable offence.

Wearing a grey T-shirt and in handcuffs, he nodded to confirm that he understood the allegations against him. No further details were disclosed during the brief hearing.

Defence solicitor Ciaran Toner told the court his client was not seeking bail at this stage. District Judge Fiona Bagnall remanded Scott in custody to appear again by video-link later this week.

Keep up-to-date with all the very latest news, what's on, sport and everything else in Belfast and beyond with the Belfast Live app.

Only select news that interests you by picking the topics you want to display on the app's homepage. Plus, our enhanced user experience includes live blogs, video, interactive maps and slick picture galleries. Download it now and get involved.

Click  here  to get it from the App Store or  here for Google Play  .

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.