Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National

Beaumont Street's decorative lights go dark in Hamilton

CONCERNED: Hamilton Chamber of Commerce's Nathan Errington.

HAMILTON'S business chamber has blamed fallout over business improvement association funding for the removal of Beaumont Street's decorative lighting.

Chamber president Nathan Errington said on Friday that the lights were removed after the council decided in May to sever the funding arrangement between the two organisations.

"Unfortunately the chamber was left with no other option then to remove the lights following council's decision," Mr Errington said.

"We are a volunteer group who have dedicated their time to activating the business strip but without funding we are unable to maintain this type of infrastruture project."

The organisations had been funded from a $1.3 million pool collected through a special business rate on traders in Hamilton, the CBD, Wallsend, New Lambton and Mayfield.

City of Newcastle chief executive Jeremy Bath has said the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce deal was terminated due to "significant breaches" identified in a confidential report.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.