Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Greg Williams

Bears safety Deon Bush is ready to take the next step

This offseason former fourth-round safety Deon Bush resigned with the Chicago Bears on a one-year, $1.4 million deal. Bush has been in 54 games for the Bears and has only started eight. Last year, Bush started in zero games but played in 15 while recording eight tackles and two pass deflections.

While sitting behind Adrian Amos and HaHa Clinton-Dix for the past four years, Bush is ready to take over the free safety position but will have to compete with free-agent acquisition Tashaun Gipson. Gipson was released by the Houston Texans after signing a three-year, $22.5 million contract, but is now with the Bears on a one-year, $1 million deal.

“I feel like every year I’ve been getting more comfortable with the game,” Bush said on Bears All Access. “I think this is going to be a big year and I feel like I’ve been putting in work and I’m ready to take the next step. I’m ready to go into training camp and compete with the guys. We got some great safeties in the room and that’s going to elevate all our games.”

While the Bears are waiting for training camp to start on July 21, Bush has been training back at home in Miami, Florida, since March with new teammate Artie Burns, who came over in free agency from the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Eddie Jackson.

“We are doing a lot of one-on-ones. I just did a lot of work with Artie Burns and I have seen Eddie (Jackson) and I did a workout with him since he was down in Miami,” Bush said. “Basically, I’m working my craft, working my eyes, watching a lot of film, and I’m feeling very comfortable. I really can’t wait to get back to camp.”

Most of the competition heading into training camp seems to be coming from the offense, but the defense has one position to keep an eye on. Bush is heading into his fifth year as a Chicago Bear and this might be the greatest chance he has of earning the starting free safety spot even though he’s going up against an experienced Pro Bowler in Gipson.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.