Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler will not return this season, headed for injured reserve with an injury to his right shoulder.
Bears coach John Fox made that announcement after Thursday's practice at Halas Hall.
After working through an array of treatment options and working to rehabilitate his throwing shoulder, Cutler will now have surgery to repair a torn labrum this weekend.
"I talked to him earlier today. He's in good spirits," Fox said. "It wasn't like (surgery) was never going to be an option. You try to avoid it, especially for a quarterback on your throwing shoulder. But he talked to many capable doctors, like he should. So that's been the determination at this point."
Cutler played the entire game for the Bears in a Week 11 loss to the Giants. He was 17-for-30 for 252 yards and a touchdown but finished the game with a loss-sealing interception. The following day, news of his shoulder problem surfaced and despite Fox's assertion last week that Cutler's injury would not be season ending, it now classifies as just that.
Cutler is currently in the third season of a seven-year, $126 million contract extension. But the $54 million in guaranteed money is paid out and the Bears could part ways with the veteran quarterback at no cost any time before the start of next season. All early indications are that a separation is forthcoming. But Fox declined to answer a question about Cutler's future beyond 2016 on Thursday.
"I think right now we have five games left and all our focus for myself, the coaching staff and the players is on San Fran," Fox said. "The offseason is the offseason. We're not there yet."