
Khalil Mack won’t play in the Pro Bowl.
The Giants made the announcement Thursday when they named their own outside linebacker, Olivier Vernon, as an injury replacement. They said Mack was suffering from an undisclosed injury.
Mack missed two games, and was limited in two more, with a right ankle sprain that he suffered in the Bears’ Oct. 14 loss to the Dolphins. If Mack needs to tend to any injury this offseason, though, he didn’t explain it in his postgame interview following Sunday’s 16-15 wild card playoff loss to the Eagles. It’s not unusual for veterans to skip the game.
Mack earned his fourth-straight Pro Bowl nod last month, capping a stellar first season with the Bears. Despite being acquired only eight days before the season-opener, and having not participated in either the Raiders’ or Bears’ training camp, Mack was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Month in September. He finished the season with 12 ½ sacks, the most ever for any Bears player not named Richard Dent. He was named a first-team Associated Press all-pro.
Four other Bears were named to their first-ever all-star game: running back Tarik Cohen, defensive tackle Akiem Hicks, cornerback Kyle Fuller and safety Eddie Jackson.
Jackson, who did not play a snap in any of the Bears’ last three games because of a high right ankle sprain, said Sunday he hadn’t thought about whether or not he’d participate in the Pro Bowl. He said his ankle did not need surgery, only rest.
The Pro Bowl will be held Jan. 27 at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Fla.