Enter your email to read this article
Read news on any topic, in one place, from publishers like The Economist, FT, Bloomberg and more.

Batches of 'superfood' flaxseed recalled by Aldi stores in Ireland amid salmonella fears

Aldi in Ireland has issued a recall of Foodie Market’s Milled Brown Flaxseed after a batch was found to contain Salmonella Typhimurium.

The supermarket chain is also placing recall notices at points of sale to notify customers who may have bought the contaminated product. The batch in question comes in 200g bags with a best before date of January 2023.

The batch code is L131315 with a best before date of the end of January 2023.

Read More : Irish shoppers pay far more for food and booze than EU

In a message on the Food Safety Authority of Ireland's website, they said: "Aldi is recalling the above batch of The Foodie Market Milled Brown Flaxseed due to detection of Salmonella Typhimurium. Point-of-sale recall notices will be displayed in Aldi stores supplied with the implicated batch."

"People infected with Salmonella typically develop symptoms between 12 and 36 hours after infection, but this can range between 6 and 72 hours. The most common symptom is diarrhoea, which can sometimes be bloody," the notice read.

The recalled product (FSAI website)

"Other symptoms may include fever, headache and abdominal cramps. The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days. Diarrhoea can occasionally be severe enough to require hospital admission. The elderly, infants, and those with impaired immune systems are more likely to have more severe illness."

Infants, the elderly and people with compromised immune systems are at particular risk. Consumers are advised not to eat the implicated batch.

READ NEXT :

Related Stories
Noodles recalled by the Food Safety Authority over the presence of pesticide that could cause 'serious' health issues
Extensive use of the pesticide can cause health issues that range from minor to serious
From analysis to the latest developments in health, read the most diverse news in one place.
Dangerous strain of salmonella becoming more common in UK meat
Unpublished government records show rise in poultry products testing positive for salmonella infantis
Man who died after eating duck egg begged for help and told 999 'I'm in trouble'
An Ambulance Service have admitted liability in the death of Niptoon Tavakoli, who had called 999 three times in around 85 minutes complaining of severe sickness and diarrhoea.
This protein powder is being recalled
Mistakenly included in the blend for the impacted items? A "whey-derived flavoring ingredient"
Warwick Davis gathered family to say goodbye during wife's sepsis battle
Warwick is now raising awareness
One place to find news on any topic, from hundreds of sites.
Fears Covid surge could ruin Irish people's summer holidays with return of tests and rules
While the Irish Government has signalled that it's unlikely to reintroduce coronavirus curbs this summer, other countries may bring in measures or tests for foreign tourists - including those from Ireland