Mumbai Police on Friday registered an FIR against the captain of the barge P-305, and others, after the vessel sank in the Arabaian Sea during cyclone Tauktae, resulting in the death of at least 49 people.
Based on a complaint from the barge engineer, an offence was registered under sections 304 (2), 

Meanwhile, political parties have demanded action against state-run oil major ONGC, which had contracted the barge.
“A case of homicide should be registered against the ONGC. Why should the blame be limited to the captain of the barge? The owner of the private company, contractor and the ONGC should also face the action,” said senior NCP leader and Maharashtra Minister Nawab Malik.
Mumbai police spokesperson, Deputy Commissioner of Police S. Chaitanya said, “The FIR has been registered based on the complaint filed by chief engineer of the barge Rehman Shaikh for acting negligently despite warnings being issued of cyclone Tauktae.” He added that based of further investigation, names of other officials will also be added.
Out 261 personnel who were onboard the barge, the Indian Navy and Coast Guard rescued over 186 and bodies of 49 have been recovered so far. Search operations for the missing is still in progress. Three barges and an anchor deployed by private contractor Afcons for state-run ONGC drifted and capsized in the high winds due to the cyclone. It is being alleged that despite several warnings issued earlier, the workers were not offloaded on land, leading to the loss of lives.