Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
Environment
By Indonesia correspondent Samantha Hawley

Bali on alert amid fears volcano will erupt

Bali's Mount Agung volcano caused widespread destruction when it erupted in 1963.

Indonesia's emergency agency has expanded the evacuation area around a volcano in Bali amid fears it could erupt.

The Mount Agung volcano, or Gunung Agung, about 70 kilometres from Kuta on the holiday island last erupted in 1963 killing more than 1,100 people.

Indonesia's National Disaster Mitigation Agency warned residents and tourists they must stay at least six kilometres from the crater and 7.5 kilometres away to the north, south-east and south-west.

The agency said there had been increased seismic activity as well as 50-metre-high blasts from the volcano's centre.

There has been an increase in activity since August and it is the second time the alert level has been increased in less than a week.

Nearby residents have been told to prepare in case the alert level is raised again and they are ordered to evacuate.

Mount Agung is the highest mountain in Bali.

On March 17, 1963 ash was emitted to a height of 10 kilometres.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.