
Bahrain reported the Gulf's first death from the new coronavirus on Monday, as the total number of confirmed infections in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) stood at 965.
The deceased woman was a 65-year-old Bahraini citizen who had underlying health conditions, the health ministry said on Twitter.
Bahrain has reported 214 cases of the COVID-19 disease so far.
Many cases in the Gulf are linked to travel with Iran, which on Sunday raised its toll to 724 dead and more than 13,900 infected.
Dozens of Bahrain's cases were confirmed among citizens evacuated from Iran on flights chartered by Bahraini authorities last week.
Facing a mounting public health threat, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and Oman have taken drastic measures to combat the pandemic.
Saudi Arabia closed public spaces on Sunday and announced a pause in most government operations.
In the UAE on Monday, Burj Khalifa -- the world's tallest building in Dubai -- said it was temporarily closing its observation decks.
Oman also suspended Friday prayers, the ministry for religious affairs said