Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Catherine Murphy

B&Q shoppers evacuated from store after worker tests positive for coronavirus

B&Q shoppers were evacuated from a store after a worker tested positive for coronavirus.

The store on Link Road in  Wallasey  shut immediately this afternoon with all shoppers inside told to leave straight away.

In a statement sent to the  ECHO, a spokesperson for B&Q confirmed the store will now undergo deep cleaning following the  Covid-19  test result.

A B&Q spokesperson said: "We can confirm that our Wallasey store is temporarily closed following a team member receiving a positive (Covid 19) test result.

"Closing the store for deep cleaning is a precautionary measure and goes beyond government advice."

The store will only be closed for the reminder of today and is due to reopen tomorrow morning as usual, reports the Liverpool Echo.

Follow all coronavirus updates on our live blog here

No other B&Q is believed to be affected by the results.

B&Q reopened stores last month with long queues often forming outside as homeowners stock up on DIY products. Inside stores a number of services are closed to protect staff and customers such as kitchen and bathroom design, paint mixing, timber cutting and key cutting are not available.

Other safety measures in place across B&Q stores include two metre floor markings and perspex screens at checkouts.

Today's closure comes after more detail was revealed about how shopping in the future could look.

John Bason, the finance boss of Primark’s parent company, backed changes to the high street including banning cars, widening pavements and having queue markers outside stores during Covid-19.

He added he welcomed any measures that boost the “appeal of the high street” rather than “car-choked traffic jams”.

It comes as the Government urged councils to put social distancing measures in place before thousands of shops reopen in two weeks’ time.

Other suggestions from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government include one-way pavement arrows, passing points, moving bus stops and having marshals.

Primark plans to reopen all 153 stores in England on June 15, followed by those in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Stores will have one entrance and shoppers will be counted in and out.

Fitting rooms will stay closed.

Mr Bason said it had yet to be given details by the Government about how many customers stores were allowed per square metre, or the quarantine time period for returned items.

And despite a mountain of unsold gear, he insisted: “We are not going to have some massive sale to get people back.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.