Australia’s prime minister Malcolm Turnbull says the terror attack in the UK is not over, as the threat level in Australia remains at probable.
The national security committee of cabinet met in Canberra on Tuesday and the government was briefed by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation in the wake of the attack in Manchester.
Turnbull said security arrangements for mass gatherings in Australia, including the upcoming Vivid festival in Sydney, were being reviewed.
“This is under constant review,” the prime minister told the ABC. “You’ll see heightened police presences, more obstacles, bollard, barriers put in the way to prevent vehicle-borne attacks.”
Turnbull spoke on Tuesday night to the British prime minister, Theresa May, and conveyed Australia’s condolences.
On Wednesday morning Turnbull said events in the UK were still unfolding. “What they’ve found in the United Kingdom is evidence of a wider plot, that this criminal, this unspeakably reprehensible criminal who targeted young people, young girls, the fans of this concert, this shocking criminal was working with others.
“In that sense the attack is not over until all of those associated with this criminal have been rounded up, their networks broken and their connections uncovered and brought to justice, there is the threat of another attack, another assault on freedom,” he said.
Australia’s foreign minister, Julie Bishop, said there was no evidence yet that any Australians were caught up in the attack.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade on Wednesday upgraded its travel advice for the UK.
“In light of the UK’s increase to its threat level, we now advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in the United Kingdom,” it says.
Australians in Manchester have been told to avoid the arena area as police investigations continue as well as prepare for significant transport delays.
“Be vigilant with your personal security, monitor the media and follow local authorities’ instructions,” the advice says.
The prime minister said the Australian and New Zealand counter-terrorism committee was developing a coordinated strategy with agencies and with the owners and operators of public venues to harden up security in public places.
“It’s a dynamic environment,” Turnbull said. “We must be as agile as our enemies. We must be more agile than our enemies. So we have to learn from every incident.”
Turnbull was asked to reflect on whether the efforts by Australia’s security agencies to intervene to stop radicalised individuals carrying out attacks were successful.
The prime minister said 63 people had been arrested on terrorism charges and 12 conspiracies had been thwarted.
Asked about the coroner’s report into the Lindt cafe siege, which will be released later today, Turnbull said lessons would need to be learned.
“I can absolutely guarantee that the coroner’s report will be carefully studied and recommendations carefully considered but obviously we’ll have more to say when the report is presented and I think that’s both the responsible and respectful approach to take.”
With Australian Associated Press