Get all your news in one place
100’s of premium titles. One news app. Zero ads. Just $10 per month.

Australia's Perenti says 19 of its employees killed in Burkina Faso attack

FILE PHOTO: Women stand outside Bogodogo hospital where officials met with family members of victims of an ambush on workers near a Canadian-owned mine, in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso November 7, 2019. REUTERS/Anne Mimault

(Reuters) - Australian mining services provider Perenti Global Ltd <PRN.AX> said on Friday that 19 of its employees were among the more than three dozen people killed in the ambush of a convoy ferrying hundreds of workers near a Canadian-owned mine in Burkina Faso.

Gold miner Semafo Inc <SMF.TO> said five of its buses with a military escort came under fire on Wednesday on the road to its Boungou mine in the eastern region of Est.

The attack killed at least 37 and wounded 60, local authorities said.

Perenti said 20 of its employees were also hospitalised in the attack.

The Perenti employees killed or wounded worked for its African Mining Services unit, which had been contracted by Semafo for work at its Boungou mine.

The company said those numbers were yet to be officially confirmed. It added that its work at the Boungou mine was suspended and it was planning to send staff back to their homes and assess the impact of the suspension on its earnings guidance for the 2020 financial year.

In a separate statement, Geodrill Ltd <GEO.TO> said two of its employees were killed in the incident.

It remains unclear how many people were in the convoy, what their nationalities were or how many were missing. But two security sources said dozens may still be unaccounted for.

The identity of the assailants was unclear, but Burkina Faso is struggling to combat surging Islamist violence in remote eastern and northern scrubland areas of the West African state.

(Reporting by Nikhil Kurian Nainan in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Related Stories
Dozens killed as Australian mining company workers attacked in Africa
Thirty-seven people have been killed and more than 60 wounded in an attack on a convoy carrying employees of an…
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Deadly attack has Australian miners reassessing 'deteriorating' security at West African mine
A Perth-based mining services company with workers in Burkina Faso are reassessing the security situation after 37 civilians were killed…
Attack Near Canadian Mine in Burkina Faso Kills 38 People
Scores of people are still missing after Wednesday’s attack near a Canadian-owned mine in Burkina Faso in which 38 people…
Semafo suspends Boungou mine after attack on convoy that left at least 37 dead
Montreal-based gold miner Semafo Inc. says it has suspended operations at its Boungou mine in Burkina Faso a day after…
37 killed in Burkina Faso's deadliest attack in five years
Ouagadougou (AFP) - An ambush on a convoy transporting employees of a Canadian mining company in Burkina Faso killed 37…
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Attack near Semafo mine in Burkina Faso results in the death of at least 37
MONTREAL — An attack on employees of Quebec gold producer Semafo Inc. in Burkina Faso has left 37 people dead and 60…