Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Sport
Chris Stocks in Perth

Australia’s Mitchell Johnson has not seen England in action since Ashes

Mitchell Johnson
Mitchell Johnson has yet to play in the Tri-Series, having been rested for all four of Australia’s games so far. Photograph: Mike Hutchings/Reuters

Mitchell Johnson has not been far from English minds over the past year but before a renewal of hostilities in Sunday’s Tri-Series final Australia’s pace spearhead admits he has not watched England since his starring role in last winter’s Ashes whitewash.

The 33-year-old has yet to play in the Tri-Series, having been rested for all four of Australia’s games so far. But England’s nemesis last winter – Johnson took 37 wickets at 13.97 during the 2013-14 Ashes – is looking forward to being unleashed at his home ground of the Waca.

Only five members of the squad from last winter are likely to be in England’s team for the Tri-Series final – Ian Bell, Joe Root, James Anderson, Stuart Broad and Steven Finn. Johnson, though, is unconcerned about the change in personnel, his indifference perhaps a bigger insult than any sledge he could muster.

“They’ve got a few new players in their side,” he said. “They’ve changed to a few guys I probably haven’t come up against and some fresh faces but I don’t know how they operate. I haven’t actually watched them play since the Ashes so I don’t know what their theories are.”

Asked if he still felt he had a mental edge over England’s batsmen, despite the fact that only two remain from the last Ashes series, Johnson said: “That’s all done and dusted. I think you move on from that. You’re looking to try and get better as a team and that’s what they’ve been trying to do. They’ve mixed and matched a few guys in and out of the team and tried to get the right balance. They’ve got some great players there. We’ve just got to go out there and play our best cricket.”

Restricted by a sore hamstring that has kept him out of cricket since the Boxing Day Test against India, Johnson says he is feeling good before his return. “I’m feeling rested and I don’t feel any soreness there any more,” he said. “It’d be nice to play on a fast, bouncy wicket again so I’m looking forward to getting out there.

“I needed a fair bit of a rest. It had been a big 12 months personally. The body now is fully recovered and ready to go. It will be nice to play at the Waca and try and rip in there.”

Australia will face England again in their opening World Cup game in Melbourne on Valentine’s Day and Johnson believes the co-hosts are favourites for the tournament, which will also be played in New Zealand.

“It’s our backyard,” he said. “There’s going to be a bit of added pressure on us but we’re as prepared as we can be. Everyone is excited to get into a World Cup. It’s a really, really big thing for us. And we just want to get into this final on Sunday and play well and continue our form. Hopefully we’ll be there in the final of a World Cup too.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.