Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Ellen Kirwin

Attempted murder suspect held after man found shot in street

An attempted murder suspect is being held after a man was shot and found bleeding in the street.

Merseyside Police confirmed today a 30-year-old man from Liverpool, is in custody on suspicion of the attack, which happened near Heyworth Street, in Everton.

The arrest comes after a man in his 20s was found injured with a gunshot wound to the leg in Everton Park, at around 5.30pm on Tuesday, January 12.

He was rushed to hospital for his injuries which were described as serious but not life threatening.

It was the seventh shooting across Merseyside since Christmas which has left people injured, windows shattered and streets cordoned off.

A spokesperson for the force said: "At 5.30pm, armed police were called to Heyworth Street, near to Everton Park, to reports of a man in his 20s having been found with a leg injury. Evidence was located to confirm that this was the result of a gunshot.

Use your postcode below to check where your nearest vaccination centre is

"The victim was taken to hospital for treatment to serious but non-life threatening injuries.

"A 30-year-old man from Liverpool was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and possession of cannabis yesterday (Thursday, 14 January) and has since been released on conditional bail as enquiries continue."

Detective Chief Inspector Matt Smith said: "An investigation remains ongoing following a shooting earlier this week, which we believe took place in Everton Park, and we are still keen to hear from anyone that may be able to assist enquiries.


"Gun crime will not be tolerated by Merseyside or the communities we serve and we will continue to purse anyone involved in this serious and organised crime.

"Information from the public is vital in putting these individuals, who use weapons to cause fear or violence, before the courts and I would like to encourage anyone with information, who saw any suspicious behaviour in the area at the time, or has any CCTV or dashcam footage, to please get in touch."

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

Anyone with information is urged to contact us via our social media desk on Twitter @MerPolCC or Facebook ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre’ with reference 717 of 12 January.

You can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously, on 0800 555 111 or via their online form at: https://crimestoppers-uk.org/give-information/give-information.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.