Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Vincent Wood

Attempted murder suspect arrested after two women stabbed in Marks & Spencers

Photograph: Google Maps

Police have arrested a man on suspicion of attempted murder following the stabbing of two women in a Marks & Spencer shop in Burnley.

The pair were hospitalised following the incident at the St James’s Street store on Wednesday morning, which occurred at around 9.30am.

A 57-year-old man from the local area was arrested shortly afterwards, and remains in custody.

Inquiries are ongoing into the exact circumstances behind the alleged attack – however Lancashire Police said they believed it had been an isolated incident.

A knife has since been recovered by officers, who are increasing patrols in the area to reassure the public.

A force spokesman said: “Two women received injuries which are thankfully not thought to be life threatening at this time.

“They have been taken to hospital for treatment.

“Police officers were quickly on the scene and a 57-year-old local man was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and is currently in custody.

“A knife has been recovered.

“Police inquiries are ongoing but at this stage this is believed to be an isolated incident.

“Patrols will remain in the area as reassurance through the day.

“Anyone with information or concerns can approach an officer.”

Police appealed for anyone with information or video footage to call 101 quoting log 0313 of 2 December or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Additional reporting by PA

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.