Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Justin Carissimo

Atlanta's second season pushed back to 2018

Fans of the Grammy Award-winning FX series Atlanta will have to wait another year for the breakout comedy’s second season. On Thursday morning, the network announced at TCA that its sophomore season will premiere in 2018 due to the show’s creator and star Donald Glover’s busy production schedule.

Last year, Glover took on the major role of Lando Calrissian in the upcoming Star Wars Han Solo spin-off that’s scheduled to film later on this year. “Lando’s a big deal to me,” he said at the Golden Globes on Sunday. “It was literally the first toy I ever got.” Glover won two Golden Globes for Atlanta, taking home the honor for best comedy series and best actor in a comedy series.

Naturally, fans expressed their displeasure on Twitter after the network announced the delay.

Despite the lengthy delay, FX is planning on committing to Glover in a big way. “Donald is a remarkable artist, effortlessly shifting from actor to writer, producer, director and musician to create one amazing project after another,” Nick Grad, FX president of original programming, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

“Atlanta was just the beginning, the breakout comedy of the year and a series revered as much for its originality as its honest look at the experience of being aspiring, young and black in that legendary city. We’re proud to partner with Donald in an overall deal that will allow him to continue turning his creative vision into incredible television.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.