Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
Health
Patrick Martin and Alice Dempster

Ashes broadcast crew members test positive for COVID-19 in Adelaide

A member of the broadcast team at the Ashes has tested positive in Adelaide. (ABC News: Malcolm Sutton)

Two members of the media covering the second Ashes Test at Adelaide Oval have tested positive for COVID-19.

The Stadium Management Authority said a crew member returned a result as a part of scheduled testing for the virus.

Later on Sunday afternoon, it said a second positive COVID-19 case had been identified in the media pack.

"We have been made aware of a second member of the visiting media who has returned a positive COVID result as part of the scheduled day six testing," it said.

"This individual was working in the media centre in the western stand.

"He has not attended the ground today and neither have his close contacts."

It said SA Health was aware and has begun the contact tracing process, while a deep clean is underway at the press boxes.

SA Health said it would not comment on any individual cases and authorities have not confirmed which media crew the broadcaster was a part of.

The ABC Grandstand team was told it could not broadcast from the ground until receiving clearance from SA Health and oval management. The team broadcast Sunday's play remotely.

ABC Grandstand's Andrew Moore said he was in his hotel room and hopeful he could get back to the ground to continue the broadcast.

"The radio and TV boxes all run in line alongside each other and then there's the written press down one of the far ends of it.

"You do communicate with people when you walk out of the broadcast box, people are wearing masks inside the ground. They're wearing masks in that area.

"When we go down to do this show or the post-game show, we wear masks until we have to talk into our microphones.

"There is definitely interaction with other members of the press and that's why, I think, this may take a little while to sort out who's been in contact with who."

Moore said he understood it was a member of the British media who tested positive.

The incident follows Australia captain Pat Cummins being ruled out of the Test against England on Thursday after being deemed a close contact of a COVID-positive diner at an Adelaide restaurant.

England captain Joe Root also missed play on Sunday after being hit in the abdomen during throwdowns in the warm-up.

He was assessed by the medical team.

On Friday, SA's Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said it was likely that positive COVID cases would be identified while the Test was played in Adelaide.

The Stadium Management Authority rolled out a series of COVID-safe measures ahead of the Test.

They include a double-vaccination mandate which came into place on November 23, wearing a mask at all times aside from eating and drinking and, QR check-ins.

South Australia recorded 80 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday — the highest number it has recorded since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

What the experts know about the Omicron variant so far (Norman Swan)
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.