Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
Abigail Nicholson

Asda delivery driver 'saved mum' after noticing weird smell outside home

An Asda delivery man 'saved' a vulnerable mum after noticing a weird smell outside her home.

Jacqueline Seanor, 67, opened the door to her ASDA delivery driver as normal on Sunday, December 11, when he said he smelled something as she opened the door to her home. The driver, Rodney who works at the Aintree branch, told the vulnerable mum that he could smell gas, which according to her daughter, Michelle, she had not smelled.

The 67-year-old then called her daughter to tell her what the delivery driver said and she called the gas emergency service, Cadent. An engineer arrived "almost immediately" and confirmed Jacqueline's home in Thornton had a "really bad" smell.

READ MORE: Three schoolboys dead after falling into an icy lake in Solihull

Michelle, 37, who grew up in Crosby and now lives in Portsmouth said: "My mum wasn't able to smell anything and because she's vulnerable and things don't always click right away, she didn't really understand what the delivery driver was saying. When he said he could smell gas from in the home, she said 'I've just put my heating on so that would be why'.

"A man called James came almost immediately and ran tests, he said the gas should be between low and mid but it was very high. He then shut off the gas and filled out loads of forms which put her at the top of the list because she is vulnerable.

Jacqueline Seanor, 67, with her daughter, Michelle (Submitted)

"He then went back to the office and came back with two heaters, a thick blanket, and some socks to keep her warm in this weather. He also brought her a hot plate as she told him her oven wasn't working."

Due to Michelle living more than 250 miles away, she said the help of James and Rodney was "invaluable" and she couldn't thank them enough for "saving" her mum.

She said: "If it wasn't for Rodney and James my mum might not have been here right now if she lit a candle. She was already almost a goner as she was in hospital as blood clots got in her lungs.

"I just can't thank them enough for saving not just my mum, but my family and possible even her neighbours lives. "

Jacqueline did not need any medical help after Cadent found the leak and is now waiting for an engineer to visit her home and find the source of the leak.


Woman, 26, fighting for life after being hit by van

Police close roads after crashes in bad weather conditions

Family forced to huddle together in same bed after heating and hot water turned off

Rhod Gilbert given stage four cancer diagnosis after finding 'lumps'

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.