Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Tom Blow

Arsenal urged to make decision on Nicolas Pepe after training ground development

Arsenal legend Paul Merson has urged his former employers to sell forward Nicolas Pepe.

The 26-year-old, who was signed from Lille for a club record £72million in August 2019, has scored just 25 goals for the Gunners in all competitions.

He's also failed to find the net in eight Premier League appearances this term, slipping behind the likes of Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith Rowe in the pecking order.

Rumours last month suggested Arsenal were willing to accept just £25m for Pepe - and Merson believes it's time for them to cut their loses.

"I would say if they can sell him in January they will," the ex-midfielder told Sky Sports ahead of Arsenal's League Cup game against Sunderland on Tuesday evening.

Should Arsenal sell Nicolas Pepe? Let us know in the comments below!

Nicolas Pepe has struggled to show his best at the Emirates since his big-money move (Getty Images)

"He has just not been consistent enough in my opinion. This lad can be an eight out of 10 or four out of 10 the week the next. As a manager you want seven out 10 every week.

"Before when you’re brought for a lot of million there was a lot of pressure, but that doesn’t happen anymore. But, I hope he goes out and enjoys it. You’re playing football, the best sport in the world."

Speaking about Pepe's progress in April, manager Mikel Arteta said: "He needed a period of adaptation and that is gone now.

"So we cannot rely on adaptation again, now it is about performance and he can do it... there are no excuses."

Instead of spending another £72m to replace Pepe, though, Merson thinks Arsenal should tie Eddie Nketiah down to a new deal.

The England youth international, 22, is out of contract in June and has never had a solid run of games in the first team, featuring just three times in the Premier League this season.

Nketiah has reportedly told the Gunners he wants to leave the Emirates, with clubs in England, Germany, France and Italy thought to be monitoring his situation.

Merson himself decided to quit the London club aged 29, despite being a fan favourite, and never won another major honour.

Arsenal went on to win the double twice under Arsene Wenger before the England international's Premier League career came to an end in the summer of 2002.

And Merson has urged Nketiah to stay at the Emirates and fight for his place at the prestigious club. "Goals, the lad never lets you down," he added when discussing Nketiah.

Eddie Nketiah is out of contract at the end of the season (Arsenal FC via Getty Images)

"He comes into the team and knows he’s not going to play against Norwich on Boxing Day. But, he’ll still turn up tonight and put in a performance. That’s what I like about him.

"He’s hungry and there’s talk that he doesn’t want to sign the contract. Which I can understand as he wants to play.

"He’s at Arsenal, an unbelievable football club, you’re young and have time so be patient. He’s a great finisher, goalscorer and has good pace.

"If I was his agent I would be signing again. I left Arsenal, it’s different. This is an unbelievable football club. You only realise when you leave."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.