Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
Sport
Tom Cavilla

Arsenal striker 'open' to exit amid Liverpool transfer rumours

Talented Arsenal youngster Folarin Balogun has cast doubt on his future, potentially placing Liverpool on red alert.

Jurgen Klopp's side were linked with a move for the 20-year-old forward ahead of the summer transfer window, at which point his deal at the Emirates was set to expire.

But Balogun stayed true to the Gunners by agreeing a new four-year deal at the club in April, ending speculation surrounding the next step in his career.

READ MORE: 'It was a wake-up call' - inside major Liverpool changes after FSG mistake that led to anger and apologies

The New-York born forward had aspirations of breaking into Arsenal's first-team this season, having impressed at youth level for a number of years, and he featured in the club's first two Premier League matches of the campaign.

Since then, however, Balogun has been stuck playing under-23s football once more and has admitted a change is needed.

"I feel like I am ready for a new challenge," he said after scoring in a 3-1 win for England under-21s on Thursday.

“I feel like I have played youth football for a while. I have scored goals at that level and improved at that level drastically compared to now. At the same time I am not sure what that challenge might be.

“It might be a loan, or if I am needed at Arsenal I am here - and the gaffer knows that as well.

“I feel like I am definitely open to a new challenge, wherever it is I will be ready.

“As a striker and as a young player you need minutes. It is the best way to learn and get consistency.”

The likelihood of getting back into the Gunners' first-team appears unlikely given the side's recent form, and Balogun is unsure of what manager Mikel Arteta has in store for him.

He said: “I would like to get minutes at Arsenal. I am not sure what his plans are.

“We did speak prior to me signing my contract and he said I should trust in him and that he has a plan for me. That was a big reason I stayed and decided to re-sign.

“I wouldn’t say I know his plan, per se, but there is a plan and I have spoken about it with various people at Arsenal.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.