Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Football London
Football London
Sport
Tashan Deniran-Alleyne

Arsenal evening headlines as Mustafi contract claim refuted, multiple transfers to be completed

Here are the Arsenal evening headlines for Tuesday 26 January 2021.

Aubameyang blow, Tierney doubt

Arsenal will be without captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for tonight's Premier League clash against Southampton due to personal reasons.

A statement via the club's official website reads: "Will be unavailable for Tuesday’s match due to personal family reasons."

This was also the case last Saturday for the FA Cup fourth-round tie at St Mary's where the Gunners crashed out of the competition after suffering a 1-0 defeat.

Mikel Arteta will be hopeful of having Aubameyang available for this weekend's meeting with Manchester United at the Emirates Stadium, although that remains to be seen.

Elsewhere, Dani Ceballos and Pablo Mari have also been ruled out of tonight's game.

Interestingly, it would appear that Kieran Tierney faces a late test as the update reveals the left-back is being assessed for discomfort in the right lower leg.

Four transfers to be completed

Arsenal have been one of the more active Premier League clubs in the January transfer window so far.

The main focus this month has been to trim the first-team squad.

Sokratis, Mesut Ozil, Matt Macey, Sead Kolasinac, and William Saliba have all left the Emirates Stadium - with the latter pair joining Schalke and Nice on loan respectively for the remainder of the season.

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta sits alongside Arsenal Technical Director Edu (Photo by Simon Stacpoole/Offside/Offside via Getty Images)

In terms of incomings, Mat Ryan has joined on loan from Brighton & Hove Albion for the remainder of the season and Omar Rekik has been snapped up from Hertha Berlin.

A deal for Martin Odegaard is yet to be announced, but further deals are being planned behind the scenes.

Click here to read about the four deals that Arsenal technical director Edu and Arteta will be focused upon before the winter transfer window closes.

Mustafi update

football.london reported on Monday that Shkodran Mustafi was in talks with Arsenal to end his contract early,

The German defender's contract expires on June 30 of this year and is attracting interest from clubs in Germany as well as Italy.

However, the current financial climate makes it highly unlikely that any team can afford to pay a transfer fee for Mustafi, who arrived from Valencia for a fee of £35million in 2016.

As a result, he and his representatives have been exploring possibilities to secure him a move away this month, in the same way that Mesut Ozil and Sokratis Papastathopoulos have left the club in recent days.

With that said, Mustafi's father has told football.london that there are no plans to cancel his contract early.

"We have a contract with Arsenal until 30th June 2021. There are no plans to terminate his contract right now."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.