Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
National
Allanah Sciberras

Airport bomb scare over hot chocolate container find

Avalon Airport has reopened after a laser hair removal device sparked an evacuation. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS)

A laser hair removal device hidden within a hot chocolate container was behind a bomb scare that plunged an airport's domestic terminal into lockdown for several hours.

Bomb squad checks have since concluded after the device was found at Avalon Airport, southwest of Melbourne, just before 6am on Thursday.

Victoria Police Inspector Nick Uebergang confirmed one person had been detained after a suspicious package was found inside a bag on a conveyor belt during a security check.

"It was an electrical laser hair removal and a cardboard cylinder hot chocolate container," he told reporters on Thursday.

"It's fair to say that the person that had the bag probably wasn't too co-operative with us to start off with, which made things more difficult.

"It probably could have averted things, and we could have got out of here a lot quicker. He wasn't giving us too much information at all on what was in his bag."

Avalon Airpor
A person was arrested and the airport's domestic terminal was partially evacuated. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS)

No charges have been laid, and the man was free to go.

The airport was partially evacuated shortly after the device was found, with a large area cordoned off as a precaution as the bomb unit moved in.

An Avalon Airport spokesperson told AAP a suspicious item was found during the screening process, prompting a police response and a person being detained.

A flight to Brisbane was delayed, according to Lisa, who was due to fly out just before 9am.

She described the situation as "a bit of mayhem", telling ABC Melbourne no one knew what was going on.

"We knew something was fairly significant, lots of police cars going into the airport," Lisa said.

The airport has since reopened and operations have resumed, with police no longer deeming the situation as a risk.

"Today's response demonstrates the vigilance of the screening and security processes, with precautionary measures taken immediately to ensure the safety of passengers, staff and the broader community, which will always remain our highest priority," the airport spokesperson said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.