
Coalition Forces Supporting Legitimacy in Yemen rejected a statement by the humanitarian coordinator in Yemen, Lise Grande, on the vulnerability of civilians to the risk of airstrikes carried out by the coalition.
''The coalition's operations take into account international law and protection of civilians in accordance with Articles 51 and 52 of the Fourth Geneva Conventions,'' Coalition Spokesperson Col Turki Al-Malki said in a press conference Monday.
Malki noted that the military operations in Yemen aimed to restore the legitimacy of the government, restore state institutions and rebuild the national army, as well as protecting the Yemeni state.
"Grande's statement ignored the international and humanitarian violations carried out by Houthi militias in territories they control in Yemen," asserted the spokesperson.
He stressed that targeting the Saudi tanker in the Strait of Bab al-Mandab is an Iranian tactic to target maritime traffic and that Saada governorate is still an area to launch ballistic missiles towards Saudi territory.
Col. Maliki said that Saada and Omran governorates are still serving as ballistic missiles launching platforms towards Saudi Arabia, citing that two missiles have been launched between 16 and 23 July 2018 from Saada towards Jizan and Najran.
He cited a recent Houthi attack against a Saudi tanker in international waters west of Hodeidah port, describing it as a brutal, barbaric act by Houthi militias and a tactic of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) to threaten the freedom of maritime navigation and international trade in Bab al-Mandeb and the Red Sea.
The international community has widely condemned the recent Houthi attack on two Saudi oil tankers in the Red Sea, as well as some organizations such as the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and the Arab League, added the spokesman.
Concerning the humanitarian operations, the Colonel explained that the 22 air, sea and land relief outlets are still capable of introducing the necessary aid of the UN organizations and international organizations.
Maliki confirmed that the humanitarian operations are still ongoing in full capacity, adding that the total permits issued by the Command of the Coalition Forces reached 28,343 since the beginning of the military operations. He also said that Hodeidah Port is the first port in Yemen and represents the financial artery of Houthi militias who loot humanitarian aid and sell it in markets.
He pointed out that there are two vessels have been at the waiting area of Hodeidah port for more than two weeks, and insurgents had been banning ships from unloading their cargo for nearly 35 days.
The spokesman praised the Comprehensive Humanitarian Operations Plan in Yemen implemented by King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief). He said that over five million people benefited from the humanitarian operations in 181 days.
Colonel Maliki also discussed situations in areas controlled by the Yemeni National Army and the Popular Resistance with the support of the coalition forces. He explained the operations that led to the liberation of several areas on the northern axis and as well as controlling Hodeidah Airport.
Maliki then pointed out that as many as 164 ballistic missiles have so far been launched in addition to 66,343 projectiles with the losses of the Iran-backed Houthi militias reaching 260 sites, weapons and equipment in addition to 521 Houthi terrorists killed in action.