Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
James Illingworth

Approval for new homes on 'dangerous' Wigan junction

A Wigan housing site has been given the green light despite fears its entrance is on a 'dangerous' junction.

The bid to create four homes off Park Road in Hindley was approved by Wigan Council's planning committee on Tuesday.

Councillors heard neighbouring residents hold concerns about the access from Atherton Road.

Objector Louise Stoddart said the location has seen two major accidents in recent weeks with the housing plot set to add to the problem.

It is 'a garden and driveway being pushed to the limits', she said.

But officers told the committee the land - known as Vicarage Farm - has already been earmarked for development and is part of the council's five-year supply of housing land.

Design plans for Park Road, Hindley (Wigan Council)

Highways officers said they had no concerns with the access road, which will be widened.

The approved plans include the conversion of an existing outbuilding and the construction of three separate detached homes, each with rear gardens and driveways for two vehicles.

Highways officers said data provided to them from the police about accidents near to the junction were 'a few months behind'.

While this was explained, Ms Stoddart held up images of the recent incidents she had referred to.

"We believe that it would be safer to knock the barn down to make the entrance a proper two-way street," she had earlier told the committee.

"This is an already dangerous junction without the additional road being added to the mix."

Dozens of schoolchildren use the nearby pelican crossing and bus stop, she added.

Map of Park Road (Wigan Council)

Architect Michael Beech told the committee the designs had been changed since they were first submitted - including a reduction in the number of homes from five to four - and will 'sit well' in relation to neighbouring properties.

The committee heard a previous outline permission for the site, granted in 2017, included the access point, which will be widened to 4.5m and was therefore deemed to be acceptable.

Coun Susan Greensmith said there were no planning reasons why permission could not be granted.

Members approved the application by 10 votes to two, with independent Coun Paul Maiden, who represents Hindley Green, one of those to vote against.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.