Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Politics
Ethan James

Apology for body parts being kept without consent

Families will receive a formal parliamentary apology for a museum keeping specimens without consent. (PR IMAGE PHOTO)

Families of people who had their remains collected and in some cases displayed by a museum without consent will receive a formal parliamentary apology. 

A coronial investigation in September found the University of Tasmania's RA Rodda Museum had kept 177 samples for teaching and research purposes between 1966 and 1991. 

The remains had been collected from coronial autopsies without the knowledge or approval of families or loved ones.

Tasmania's Attorney-General Guy Barnett on Tuesday said the government would consult with impacted families so a parliamentary apology could be delivered at a date to be set. 

RA Rodda Museum
The RA Rodda Museum had kept more than 170 samples for teaching and research over a 25-year period. (PR IMAGE PHOTO)

Mr Barnett said he had written to the Director of Public Prosecutions and Tasmania Police to inform them of the coroner's report.

He acknowledged the process and initial revelations had been traumatic and devastating for families.

The health department was attempting to identify any employees who may have been involved in retaining body parts without lawful authority, he said.

A coronial probe was launched in 2016 after the museum's curator raised concerns three specimens had been kept without the consent of the coroner or families involved.

It appeared previous coroners were unaware the specimens had been distributed to the museum, coroner Simon Cooper said in his September report.

University of Tasmania
Families had not approved the collection or display of autopsy specimens by the university's museum. (Ethan James/AAP PHOTOS)

The handling of the remains was not in accordance with national standards, which were set up in 2002 but not acted upon by the Tasmanian government, he said.

It appeared now-deceased forensic pathologist Royal Cummings provided the large majority of the specimens to the museum, Mr Cooper said.

Pathologists may have actively sourced specimens from coronial autopsies and provided specimens that were originally retained for forensic purposes, he said.

University of Tasmania
The University of Tasmania has previously apologised to families for the unauthorised collection. (Ethan James/AAP PHOTOS)

The remains in question were removed from public display in 2018, before the coroner's office spent years reconciling records to determine their origin. 

In January, the names of 126 people whose specimens had been identified were published online and family members were urged to come forward. 

Mr Cooper said 100 specimens had been identified and disposed of in line with the wishes of families. 

Their retention was offensive and out of line with community standards and it was inconceivable it had gone on for so long, he said.

The University of Tasmania has previously apologised and met with families.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.