Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post
National

Anupong affirms govt can cope with flooding

People commute in big trucks like this one in flooded Non Sung district of Nakhon Ratchasima on Wednesday. (Photo: Prasit Tangprasert)

Government agencies have been effective in coping with the flooding in many provinces and it is unlikely to reach the same disastrous level as in 2011, Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda said on Wednesday.

Gen Anupong said tropical storm Dianmu had left, but two new storms were forecast as imminent. All agencies were ready for them, although it was undeniable that people would suffer to an extent.

He believed this year's flooding would not be as severe as the disastrous floods of 2011. There were still many areas available to retain water, which would be systematically managed and stored for use in the dry season.

All provincial governors and offices under the Interior Ministry had been instructed to be ready to provide equipment, shelter, food, drinking water and survival kits for distribution to flood-hit people, Gen Anupong said.

Asked about the political aspects of his and Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha's visits to flooded areas, Gen Anupong said he and the prime minister only wanted to get first-hand information on the people's grievances so they could solve the problems.

Gen Anupong simply walked away when asked about relations between Gen Prayut and Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon.

The two men have made several separate trips to flooded areas, with Palang Pratcharath leader Gen Prawit accompanied by large groups of his party's MPs.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.