Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Christopher McKeon

Another factory hit by Covid outbreak as staff test positive

Another Merseyside factory has suffered an outbreak of Covid-19 this week as infection rates remain high in the region.

Securafence, a fencing manufacturer based on the Knowsley Industrial Park in Kirkby, confirmed on Thursday (February 11) that “a small number” of its staff had tested positive for the virus.

The confirmation came after a Securafence employee raised concerns with the ECHO regarding the outbreak.

The worker, who asked to remain anonymous, claimed there were “nearly 10” confirmed cases of Covid-19 at the factory and that there were “no measures” in place to prevent further transmission.

He added that he was afraid to take time off as he could lose his job, but was also afraid of potentially bringing the virus home to his young son.

However, Securafence denied claims it had not taken steps to protect its workforce, saying it had fully complied with government guidance throughout the pandemic.

A spokesperson for the company said: “For the first time, Securafence has today [February 11] seen a small number of its employees test positive for Covid-19.

“The company has fully adopted all government safety advice throughout this pandemic and has put in place all the required operational changes and procedures to ensure that it's employees are adhering to the current guidelines.

“Securafence has taken, and will continue to take, the protection of its employees very seriously.”

Enter your postcode below to find the latest figures where you live

The company is understood to employ around 100 people at its factory on Hammond Road.

A spokesperson for Knowsley Council said the local authority was aware of “a number of confirmed cases” at the factory and was “following up with outbreak management control advice and support”.

A spokesperson for the Health and Safety Executive, which regulates the factory, added: “We are aware of the issue and are working closely with Public Health England and the company to make sure the correct safety measures are in place.”

Although the number of Covid cases in Knowsley has fallen in recent weeks, the borough still has one of the country’s highest infection rates with 345 new cases per 100,000 residents reported last week.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.