
NSW has again racked up a week of zero locally-acquired cases of COVID-19.
No local cases were uncovered in the 24 hours to 8pm on Thursday, NSW Health said in a statement on Friday.
Nine cases were uncovered in returned travellers in hotel quarantine, marking seven consecutive days of zero locally-acquired cases since a hotel quarantine cleaner last week picked up the virus.
Prior to that diagnosis, NSW went 26 days without a local case, prompting the opening of the Queensland and WA borders for NSW residents.
However NSW Health continued to encourage anyone with respiratory symptoms to come forward for testing, with virus fragments being uncovered at sewage treatment plants in Batemans Bay and Liverpool.
"The presence of SARS-CoV-2 in sewage (in Batemans Bay) may reflect the presence of people who have recovered from COVID-19 such as people released from hotel isolation returning to their place of residence," NSW Health said.
"However, NSW Health is concerned there could be other active cases in the local community in people who have not been tested and who might incorrectly assume their symptoms are just a cold."
No COVID-19 patients in NSW are currently in intensive care.
Investigations continue into the source of the recent case in the hotel quarantine cleaner. No further positive results have been identified.
"With restrictions eased and borders being reopened, now is not the time to be complacent," Dr Jeremy McAnulty said.