Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chronicle Live
Chronicle Live
National
Michael Marsh & Hannah Graham

Annfield Plain police incident: What we know so far

Armed police descended on a County Durham village and locked down multiple streets.

Several streets in Annfield Plain, near Stanley, were cordoned off after unconfirmed reports of a serious assault.

Firearms officers and paramedics were seen in the area of Stanhope Gardens, while several sections of the side streets leading off Frosterley Gardens were taped off.

The drama unfolded at around 6pm on Saturday when police swooped on the estate. Officers remain at the scene on Sunday morning.

A police cordon remained on Sunday morning (ncjMedia)

One neighbour, who wanted to remain anonymous, said: “We’ve had the air ambulance out, the air ambulance landed in the field round the back of the houses, we’ve had St John’s ambulance out.

“People had to be taken down to their houses by police. I was walked down by armed police officers.”

Another neighbour said: "I didn’t hear anything, we just saw the street had been blocked off and there were armed police."

Durham Constabulary issued a statement on Sunday lunchtime.

Police in Annfield Plain on Saturday night (Twitter/@Niiicewun)

A spokesperson said: We were called at 5.10pm yesterday (August 8) to reports that a man had been injured during an incident in Frosterley Gardens, in Stanley.

"The victim – a man in his thirties – was taken to hospital for treatment, but his injuries are not life-threatening.

"An investigation has been launched to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident, and how the man sustained his injuries."

Detective Inspector Steve Rooney added: “We are treating this as an isolated incident and we do not believe there is any threat to the wider community.

“We have a team of officers working on the investigation, and would like to speak to anyone who has any information that could help with our enquiries.”

Anyone with any information should call Durham Constabulary on 101, quoting incident number 378 of August 8.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.