Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business

Anglo American restarts Australian coal operations after worker fatality

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Anglo American has restarted operations at its Moranbah North coal facility in Australia's Queensland state, it said on Monday, after one worker died and several were injured in a collision underground last week.

The London-listed miner said in a statement it was still investigating the incident, as was the state's mines safety inspector, which involved a personnel carrier and a grading vehicle last Wednesday.

The driver of the grader, Bradley Hardwick, was taken by ambulance to hospital and later died.

"Our four colleagues who were injured in the incident are all recovering well. We are providing support to assist in their return to work when they are ready," Anglo American's Head of Underground Operations, Glen Britton said.

"This is a difficult time for our people, their families and the Moranbah community as we come to terms with the tragic loss," he added.

(Reporting by Melanie Burton; Editing by Kenneth Maxwell)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.