Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Sport

Andy Murray to decide on hip resurfacing operation in the next week after Australian Open exit

Andy Murray has revealed he will decide whether to undergo a "big operation" to resurface his hip in the next week.

On Friday the Brit announced his decision to quit tennis in 2019, revealing he would consider hip resurfacing to ease the pain post-retirement.

But after a battling defeat in the first round of the Australian Open on Monday, Murray appeared to suggest he would consider a return to the court if he decided to undergo the operation and it proved successful.

Speaking on court after the five-set defeat to No22 seed Roberto Bautista Agut, he said: "If I want to go again, I'll need to have a big operation, which there's no guarantee I'll be able to come back from, but I'll give it my best shot."

But Murray, who later revealed he would make a decision regarding the hip operation in the next week, insisted he could walk away from the game at peace following defeat in Melbourne on Monday.

“I’d be ok with that being my last match,” he said, despite previously stating a desire to bow out at Wimbledon in July.

This page is being updated

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.