Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Darren Wells

Andy Murray set to make Grand Slam singles return at Australian Open

Andy Murray will make his Grand Slam singles return at next year's Australian Open - just a year after he feared he would have to retire.

The two-time Wimbledon champion has been working towards a comeback to solo action after undergoing hip surgery earlier this year.

Murray, 32, who has finished runner-up at Melbourne Park five times, was knocked out in the first round at last year's Australian Open having said before it started that it could be his last tournament.

The Scot underwent a career-saving hip resurfacing procedure at the end of January and made his competitive return to tennis in the doubles at Queen's Club in June, where he won the title with partner Feliciano Lopez.

The Brit has been in singles action at the Shanghai Masters (SIPA USA/PA Images)

"Confirmed: @andy_murray will return to compete at the AusOpen in 2020," Australian Open organisers said on Twitter , adding in a statement that the three-times major winner would be given a protected ranking of number two.

Tournament director Craig Tiley told Australian radio station Triple M: "For sure Andy will be here.

"I was on the phone to his agent this morning. He is going to be in Australia early.

“He is ready to return. Remember he said goodbye a year ago. It’s great in that period he had surgery and has rebounded really well.”

He beat Juan Ignacio Londero to progress to the last-32 (Getty Images)

Murray, who is currently ranked 289th in the world, played in the doubles and mixed doubles at Wimbledon, partnering Serena Williams in the latter, and made his singles return in Cincinnati in August.

He reached the quarter-finals of the China Open in Beijing last week, losing to Dominic Thiem, and won his opening match at the ongoing Shanghai Masters on Monday.

Despite losing the first set 6-2 to Argentinian Juan Ignacio Londero, Murray fought back to win the final two sets 6-2, 6-3 on centre court to progress to the last 32.

He faces number 10 seed Fabio Fognini, of Italy, in the next round on court three on Tuesday.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.