Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
National
Abbie Wightwick

An 11 year-old from Cardiff has not done schoolwork since March

An 11 year-old from Cardiff has been unable to do schoolwork for three months because the laptop the school promised to send never came, a report going to the Senedd says.

The child's comments are among experiences revealed in a consultation on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and school closure on young people carried out by the Senedd’s Children Young People and Education Committee.

The committee launched the consultation in April especially seeking views of disadvantaged young people by working with organisations in touch with them.

A summary of the findings is going before the committee on Tuesday, July 7, when Education Minister Kirsty Williams and Steve Davies, Welsh Government Director of Education are also due to give evidence.

Those findings are stark. While some children have found positives in school closures and lockdown, a majority of the summary lays bare the negative effect closing down schools, parks and usual day to day life has had on them.

The 11 year-old is not identified, and neither is the school they attend.

The child told the consultation: “Being at home has been really stressful, not being able to go outside, isolating in the house, and not being able to do the school work because I don’t have access to the school website.

“The school contacted me that they were going to bring the laptop since March, but they have three months that they haven’t brought it yet and also they don’t answer the messages and also my teacher doesn’t help me with the school work I’ve missed.”

Some children in Cardiff, as in other areas, go to schools outside the city in another local education authority area and the report does not state which school the child attends.

Cardiff council has distributed thousands of devices to pupils to help them do schoolwork since the government ordered schools to close in March. Earlier this month, one school, Mary Immaculate Catholic High, said it alone has handed out hundreds to its pupils.

The report says a majority of young people shared comments about how much they missed friends, teachers and certain lessons. A large number said it was their friends that they missed the most. Some then went on to say they could manage the school work while others explained they were struggling.

In several comments young people mention lack of structure in their lives while not attending school. For some this affected motivation but others said that helped them try new ways of learning.

A council spokesperson said: “Cardiff council and other partners have worked closely with schools to develop a range of ways to address the issue of digital deprivation among children and young people, to ensure they can continue to access online learning during the school closures.

“Approximately 6,500 digital devices, including Chromebooks and iPads, have now been distributed to pupils identified as digitally deprived, as well as 2,000 4G mobile broadband devices. Many schools have gone above and beyond to support home learning, by printing off work for those without access to a printer, and delivering resources such as books and stationary.

“Teachers across the city are also being provided with up-to-date digital equipment, to assist them in the delivery of online and blended learning. Around 1,300 laptops have been distributed already, with a further 1,700 devices to be delivered over the next few weeks, jointly funded by Cardiff Council and Welsh Government.

“We have provided significant training to support schools to deliver learning at home, including virtual teacher training, in partnership with The Open University. This training will continue to support teachers in delivering both synchronous and blended learning.

“Cardiff Council has worked closely with partners, such as the South Central Consortium, to create a framework for schools to establish blended learning, which ensures learning in schools and from a distance is complimentary. The Council has also supported schools with online materials and training opportunities to facilitate online learning. This will form part of a long-term solution to Education following the lockdown period.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.