Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bristol Post
Bristol Post
National
Emma Grimshaw & Conor Gogarty

Ambulance service issues update after homeless man's death

Investigators have 'no concerns' about the behaviour of two paramedics who assessed a homeless man hours before his death.

At 6am on December 14, emergency services were called to a dark alleyway in Old Market after reports a man was unconscious.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene. He is yet to be formally identified, but police believe him to be a homeless 44-year-old man.

Hours before he was found dead, paramedics had spoken to the man.

An investigation has now concluded they rightly walked away when he became aggressive.

Last month, Bristol Live  reported concerns from nearby shopkeeper Rajaul Karim, who called for an  ambulance just before 1am because he believed the man was suffering a drug overdose.

Mr Karim, 34, said the two paramedics stood next to the man shortly afterwards without providing any treatment.

CCTV footage of the six encounter was shared by Mr Karim.

Paramedics talk to homeless man who later died

Following the incident, South Western Ambulance Service launched an inquiry into what happened on the fatal night.

While the ambulance service previously said it would not be giving any more updates on the investigation, it has now revealed the probe is complete.

The crew 'had to retreat for their own safety'

A spokesperson said: “We have conducted a thorough investigation into the incident and have no concerns about how we managed the situation.

"Our crew attempted to assess the patient, who at the time was mobile and interacting with them, but when he became aggressive and threatening, the crew had to retreat for their own safety.

“We perform a vital role in providing emergency medical assistance to patients across the south west, but the safety of our staff is paramount. They can only treat patients who give consent to be assessed and treated.

"Given the significant number of violent attacks on our staff, we support them to make appropriate decisions about their safety.”

For the latest news in and around Bristol, visit and bookmark  Bristol Live's homepage.  

You can  follow us on Twitter  here and on Facebook  here and  here.  

You can also join our  traffic and travel,  crime and  parenting Facebook groups.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.