Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading

Almost 190,000 evacuated as thunderstorms roil northeast China

Cars are turned over after the pavement gave way following a rainstorm in Dalian, Liaoning province, China August 4, 2017. Picture taken August 4, 2017. REUTERS/Stringer

BEIJING (Reuters) - Thunderstorms have battered northeastern China's Liaoning province for several days, killing three people and prompting the evacuation of almost 190,000, state news agency Xinhua said on Monday.

The storms, which began on Thursday, have hit seven cities including the major port city of Dalian, Xinhua said.

Three deaths were reported in Xiuyan county in Anshan city, the report added, without giving details.

A man walks through waves of water as Tropical Storm Haitang passes near the coastal area of Qingdao, Shandong province, China August 2, 2017. REUTERS/Stringer

A total of 188,000 local residents had been evacuated to safer ground, while more than 1,000 homes had collapsed and 66,400 hectares of cropland had been damaged, Xinhua said.

The summer is traditionally China's storm season, with typhoons battering the east and south coasts and thunderstorms hitting wide swathes of the country.

A crane lifts a car after a major rainstorm hit Dalian, Liaoning province, China August 4, 2017. Picture taken August 4, 2017. REUTERS/Stringer

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Nick Macfie)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.