Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Brendan Sugrue

Allen Robinson doesn’t sound encouraged about a contract extension

It’s been over a week since the #ExtendAllenRobinson movement kicked up a notch after the Chicago Bears wide receiver made it known through social media and other avenues that he was unhappy with the progress of contract negotiations.

After talking with general manager Ryan Pace and head coach Matt Nagy last week, Robinson appeared to be in a better place about the situation. Reports even surfaced over the weekend indicating the extension possibility “had gained some momentum.” Now, it feels as if Robinson and the Bears are right back where they started.

When meeting the media on Wednesday afternoon, Robinson was asked by Jason Lieser of the Chicago Sun Times if he was more optimistic about a deal being done. In a subdued tone, Robinson deflected the question, instead choosing to focus on the upcoming game.

“We know where we stand at, right now I’m just trying to focus on the Falcons,” he said.

Later on, Robinson was asked about running back Tarik Cohen’s comments about leaving money on the table for the wide receiver and he simply said, “I told him I appreciate that,” in the same subdued tone as his other answer. Robinson was noticeably more upbeat when discussing topics such as rookie wide receiver Darnell Mooney’s development.

The answers Robinson provided aren’t anything new, but the tone of his voice may indicate he’s more discouraged than last week. Despite the willingness of the team and Robinson to find common ground, both parties still appear to be significantly apart.

Perhaps Robinson wasn’t in the mood to talk about his deal after coming off a lackluster game in the Bears’ Week 2 victory where he only caught three passes on nine targets for 33 yards. Or negotiations are still moving at a snail’s pace. Either way, it’s clearly been a sore subject and is the storyline that just won’t go away.

But if Wednesday’s media session is any indication, we’re no closer to a resolution. In the meantime, fans and players alike will keep the #ExtendAR movement alive.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.