Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Kathryn Lewis

All ACT residents identified as Goulburn case contacts test negative

The person who tested positive for Covid was a painter working at the new Goulburn Hospital site. Picture: Hannah Neale

All 26 ACT residents identified as casual contacts of a man who tested positive for COVID-19 after working at a Goulburn construction site have tested negative.

ACT Health had been in touch with all those people to ensure they remained in isolation until they got the negative result.

ACT chief health officer Kerryn Coleman was confident the situation posed a low risk to the broader Canberra community.

The painter, who lives in Sydney, had been deemed an essential worker, which allowed him to travel to the construction site at the new Goulburn Hospital.

NSW Health said the man was infectious at the site on Friday, July 9 and had been in isolation since Saturday, July 10.

Meanwhile, NSW recorded 65 cases to 8pm on Wednesday evening in what Premier Gladys Berejiklian described as a "welcome drop".

"But it comes with a warning," she said.

"Based on the fact we had 28 people in the community while infectious, I expect that we will have higher case numbers tomorrow.

"Even though the case numbers were lower, 28 is too high."

Ms Berejiklian said there had been a "stabilisation" but it was vital the figures started falling, which she said could only be achieved with fewer cases mobile while infectious.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.