Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Entertainment
Katie Wilson

Alec Baldwin 'taking time off work after being left inconsolable over fatal shooting'

Alex Baldwin is reportedly taking some time off work after accidentally shooting dead a crew member on the set of his latest film Rust.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, died when a prop gun Alec was holding fired real bullets instead of blanks.

Court documents have since revealed Alec didn’t know he had been handed a loaded weapon.

Mum-of-one Halyna was airlifted to the University of New Mexico Hospital but could not be saved by doctors.

Film director Joel, 48, was also hospitalised after being hit by a bullet but has since been released, his reps confirmed.

Alec was said to be “hysterical and absolutely inconsolable for hours” following the tragic accident.

The 63-year-old actor is now taking some time to “re-centre himself”, as he has during difficult times in the past.

Alec on the set of Rust, which may never be finished following the shooting (INSTAGRAM)

A source told PEOPLE magazine: “This was pretty devastating. This is how he handles difficult times. Whenever something bad happens, in the short term, he removes himself from the public eye.

“Alec is someone who really deeply cares, so he can be very hard on himself. That’s true in general, in situations nowhere near as serious as this. But in this situation, it’s a whole other level because of the loss of life involved.”

The insider added: “It’s going to take him some time to figure this all out. He needs to take a while to himself, to be with his family.”

Halyna Hutchins died during the tragic incident last Thursday (Instagram)

Alec has fully cooperated with the police since the tragedy happened. So far, the investigation remains ongoing and no charges have been filed.

He first spoke out about the incident on Friday morning, issuing a statement on Twitter.

“There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother, and deeply admired colleague of ours,” he wrote.

“I’m fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occured and I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family. My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.”

Halyna’s husband Matthew Hutchins, a lawyer who she shares nine-year-old son Andros with, said he had since spoken with Alec. “He is being very supportive,” he told the Daily Mail.

It was confirmed that filming on the Rust movie had been paused indefinitely following Halyna's untimely death.

In a statement, the production company said: “The entire cast and crew has been absolutely devastated by the tragedy and we send our deepest condolences to Halyna’s family and loved ones.

“We have halted production on the film for an undetermined period of time and are fully cooperating with the Santa Fe Police Departments investigation.”

They added they would be providing a counselling service to everyone connected to the film “as we work to process this awful event”.

Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at webcelebs@trinitymirror.com or call us direct 0207 29 33033.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.