Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Business
Bethan Sexton, Deadline News & James Andrews

Aldi "urgently" checking its kids' bedding after two tots choked by loose threads

Aldi is "urgently checking" the safety of a children's bedding range after two mothers claimed their childrenwere "choked" by loose threads.

Natasha Wright earlier this week from a Lily and Dan bedding set tangled around her throat.

Now Jodie Benson, from Birmingham, is urging the supermarket to remove the Lily and Dan duvet set after her one-year-old son, Marley, was found with a thread wrapped three times around his neck.

Photos of Marley's neck show the painful red mark Jodie claims was caused by the bedding.

The 27-year-old was left "an emotional wreck" after finding Marley in bed lying "still" with the twine wrapped around his neck on Monday.

Have you had a similar experience with your child? Email mirror.money.saving@mirror.co.uk

The bedding in question (Natasha Wright/Deadline News)

She also confirmed that the pressure was so great Marley had been left cut by the thread. Jodie's cousin, Clair Morton, 30, took to Facebook to warn other parents about the item.

She posted photos of Marley's "burns" with the caption: "Something that should of never happened.

"String off Aldi bedding coming loose and wrapping three times around my one-year-old cousin's neck. Apparently this isn’t the first incident with bedding products from there.

"Please all check your little ones bedding for any loose strings as it’s just not worth thinking about. 

"Aldi UK have been informed and it’s currently under investigation.

"Absolutely disgusting that these products are still on the shelves if it’s been a issue before."

Clair's post prompted concern among social media users.

Faye Toye wrote: "Absolutely awful so scary! Hope he’s okay."

Katie Owens added: "I’ve seen someone else post this!!! It should be taken of the shelves immediately!!! Hope everyone is okay."

And Charmain Nagle said: "That is terrifying. I hope he is okay bless his heart."

Speaking today, Jodie said: "I walked in and the baby was lying there with the thread wrapped around his neck three times.

"I got it from around his neck and removed the Aldi bed covers from his cot. He was extremely distressed as you can imagine.

"He was just lying there, still.

"There's actually a cut on the back of his neck from where the pressure was so great."

Clair added: "What I don’t understand is the fact this has happened before, that’s what we can’t get our head around.

"It could have happened more. We want it withdrawn and a full refund of the product."

Natasha Wright, 27, from Weymouth, Dorset, said she was still struggling with the "what ifs" after she also found her 2-year-old daughter Niamh with a loose thread wrapped around her neck.

She discovered the tot tangled in the bedding with her hand across her throat on January 30.

She spoke of her "horror" at realising that Niamh had been bound to the bed by the string and was struggling to sit up.

Speaking yesterday, she said: "As I went to pick her up she was heavier than usual, I couldn't pick her up.

"It took a couple of seconds for me to realise that the reason she was leaning back was because she was essentially tied to the bed."

Aldi today confirmed they had no plans to remove the bedding from sale.

An Aldi spokesman said: "We are sorry to hear about Ms Benson’s experience with this product and are looking into this with our supplier as a matter of urgency.”

In relation to Natasha's case, Aldi promised to "look in to this immediately".

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.