Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Special Correspondent

AIIMS trauma centre to be capital’s dedicated coronavirus hospital

A view of the AIIMS Trauma Centre in New Delhi. (Source: The Hindu)

All India Institute Of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Trauma Centre is to be the dedicated hospital for COVID-19 patients in the Capital, according to a Union Health Ministry official.

He confirmed that the facility is being readied and in-patients will be shifted to the main AIIMS hospital.

India has so far registered 1,071 COVID-19 cases, with 29 deaths and 100 discharged.

PTI adds:

Preparations are underway to convert the facility, which provides treatment mostly to victims of road accidents, into a dedicated COVID-19 hospital, official sources said, adding that initially, it will have around 260 beds.

The AIIMS administration is likely to make an official announcement in this regard very soon.

Coronavirus India lockdown day 6 live updates | Gujarat reports another death taking the toll to 30

“The entire trauma casualty and the emergency is being shifted to the AIIMS’ main emergency. Most of the patients have already been shifted to multiple wards at the main AIIMS hospital,” a source said.

The Trauma Centre currently has 242 beds and 18 more are being added to it. Of the total number of beds, there are about 50 ICU beds and around 30-40 beds in the high-dependency unit. It has around 70 ventilators.

“The capacity can be ramped up, depending on the requirement,” a source said.

The AIIMS has set up a task force to develop a management protocol for COVID-19 and constituted several committees to be able to respond to the challenges that may surface in the coming days due to the rising number of coronavirus cases.

The premier hospital has already closed its OPD, including speciality services and all new and follow-up patients’ registration, from March 24 till further orders.

Coronavirus | With over 180 fresh cases in 24 hours, India shifts focus to hotspots

The AIIMS had earlier decided to temporarily suspend the routine walk-in OPD registration of patients from March 23 as part of its efforts to redirect its resources to control the coronavirus outbreak.

Further, the hospital has been postponing all non-essential elective procedures and surgeries, and the administration has directed for only emergency life-saving surgeries.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.