Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Kathryn Lewis

After three-month shutdown, businesses welcome next stage of easing

Co-owner from Kidzplore, Dennis Yu, will be re-opening the kids indoor play centre from Sunday after shutting down in March. Picture: Elesa Kurtz

It has been three months since indoor play centre, Kidzplore has been filled with a chorus of laughter.

The Fyshwick centre has relied solely on government support, in the form of Jobkeeper payments and cash flow assistance, to keep from floundering under rent and essential payments.

The centre will be ready to play from Sunday as restrictions are further lifted in Canberra.

From midday Friday indoor activity centres, arcades, theatres and cinemas can reopen to a maximum of 100 people within the four-square-metres per-person rule.

Restaurants, pubs and cafes can also welcome up to 100 patrons per enclosed space provided they follow the space requirements.

Co-owner Dennis Yu was grateful the business could start trading but said several changes would need to be made.

"When we host parties, they easily reach 100," he said.

"Now we have to take bookings. We'll probably have to turn customers away."

Kids play time, previously unlimited, will be capped at two hours, professional cleaners will be brought in three times a week and staff will do regular sanitising during business hours.

This stage of the ACT Government's recovery plan also allows contact sports to begin training and non-contact sport to kick off the season.

Gyms can re-introduce circuit training and bump up their capacity to 100 people within the space limitations.

The announcement means life is almost back to normal for Canberra's gyms.

Anytime Fitness Gungahlin reopened weeks ago but a 20 person limit meant a booking system was essential.

Anytime Fitness regional manager Steve Boden. Picture: Jamila Toderas

Regional manager for Gungahlin and Casey clubs Steve Boden, said members now had the freedom to train when they wanted.

"We could only reopen to supervised hours and only to groups of 20 that members had to pre-book in," he said.

"The availability our members were left with to book in with was quite limited."

Mr Boden didn't expect managing the amount of people would be a problem but said a staff member would be on the door keeping track.

"Prior to the club closing there was never an issue of clubs being at capacity," he said.

He said the Gungahlin gym peaked at around 50 to 60 people in busy periods.

Members can still only train during staffed hours and social distancing and good hygiene measures are enforced, Mr Boden said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.