Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Afghan Official Says Taliban Attack Left 5 Dead, Including Child

An Afghan security official stands guard outside a wedding hall that was targeted by a suicide bomber overnight, in Kabul, Afghanistan, 18 August 2019. EPA

A suicide attack has targeted a convoy carrying officials from the country's intelligence service, killing five people, including a child, in eastern Nangarhar province, an Afghan official said.

The Taliban claimed the attack.

Attaullah Khogyani, the provincial governor's spokesman, said three security personnel were among those killed on Friday, the Associated Press reported.

He said 17 people were wounded, including six security personnel.

The attack was the latest in near-daily bombings staged by the Taliban, who hold sway over nearly half the country.

Nangarhar has become increasingly violent in recent years as both the Taliban and an ISIS affiliate are active there.

Last week, more than 60 people were killed in a brutal attack on a mosque in the province, and more than 100 were wounded.

According to AP, no one claimed responsibility for that attack.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.