Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
Sport
Connor O'Neill

Adrian fires Real Madrid warning and drops hint over Liverpool future

Adrian has issued a rallying cry to his Liverpool team-mates by claiming they have 'overcome worse' ahead of tomorrow night’s Champions League clash with Real Madrid.

A brace from Vinicius Junior, either side of a goal from Marco Asensio, handed Real a 3-1 win over the Reds in the first-leg on Tuesday night.

But despite the disappointing defeat at the Estadio Alfredo Di Stefano last week, a 2-0 win for Liverpool at Anfield would secure their passage into the final four.

And the Reds are no strangers to staging European comebacks at Anfield with tomorrow being five years to the day since they beat Dortmund 4-3 at in a Europa League quarter-final by scoring four times in the second half.

Then back in 2019, the German’s side completed the unthinkable and stunned Barcelona to book their place in the Champions League final.

The Reds looked dead and buried after losing the first-leg 3-0 at the Nou Camp, a game in which Lionel Messi scored a stunning free kick.

But braces from Divock Origi and Georginio Wijnaldum completed mission impossible and sealed the Reds’ place in the final.

And although the odds are once again stacked against Klopp’s side heading in tomorrow’s game, Adrian has revealed that Liverpool’s players have the belief another comeback can be completed.

He said: “Of course there is faith. We have overcome worse at Anfield.

“It is true everything is in favour of Real Madrid, but we are going to try. I think we will give a much better performance than in Madrid.”

The Spaniard is currently in his second season at Anfield, with his current deal with the Reds due to expire at the end of the season.

The 34-year-old started his career on Merseyside filling in for the injured Alisson Becker, featuring in several important wins on the way to winning the Premier League title.

This season, however, he was dropped in favour of Caoimhin Kelleher when Alisson picked up an injury in November, making him third choice stopper at Anfield.

But despite his age, Adrian is still keen to carry on playing next season whether that be with Liverpool or back home in Spain.

“I still have a lot of football left,” he told Cadena SER when asked about a potential return to his homeland.

“I have been away for nine years and it would be nice to come back, why lie?

“In December the coach decided another player should be ahead of me, now I have to work to fix it.

“My contract is running out and the club they told me that they are happy with me, but you have to think things over as well.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.