Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
Daniel Keane and Stacey Pestrin

Adelaide Crows linchpin Taylor Walker apologises for racist slur, unsure of playing future

Adelaide Crows forward Taylor Walker expressed remorse for his remark.

Adelaide Crows star Taylor Walker says Indigenous teammates have accepted his apology for his racist slur aimed at another player, but he did not elaborate on whether he would continue to play next year.

Walker today fronted the media for the first time since it was revealed he made the comment, aimed at a North Adelaide player, during an SANFL match.

"I'd just like to say a huge sorry to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people for the pain and hurt I've caused," he said.

Walker was earlier this month suspended by the AFL for six games and fined $20,000 over the incident, which sent shockwaves through the club and the AFL.

A previous apology video released by the club prompted backlash from former Aboriginal players, including Sharrod Wellingham, who said it could have been more heartfelt — but Walker today said "it was the best decision" at the time.

Walker's first apology prompted backlash from some in the Indigenous community.

Walker's comment was made in reference to North Adelaide player Robbie Young — who is Aboriginal and used to play for AFL side St Kilda — during a Crows reserves match in the SANFL on July 17.

The comment was reported by an Adelaide Crows official, sparking an investigation by the AFL Integrity Unit.

"I'm deeply remorseful for what I've said … I'm ashamed of what I said and I've got some work to do so please judge me on what I do hereon in," Walker said today.

Walker fought back tears as he reflected on the impact on his family.

"That's been the hardest thing, how I've let my family down," he said.

He also said he had spoken to Indigenous teammates, expressing his deep regret for the comment.

"The four Indigenous boys were really open and honest with me and I'm really thankful for that because that's going to help me understand the pain and hurt I've caused to them and their communities," he said.

"I apologised and they accepted it."

On his playing future, Walker said a decision was "down the road" and that there was "a lot of water to go under the bridge".

He also said he had been "in dialogue" with Young.

"When I first was pushed on this I was in denial, I panicked and I was scared and I thought about myself," he said.

"I let time go and I said to myself this is not about me, this is about Robbie and the Adelaide official and the pain that I caused to them and that's when I said I'm coming forward to own this and I want to get better for it."

He has expressed interest in attending the club's best and fairest celebrations on Saturday night, but that it was "for the club to decide".

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.