Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Sport
Louise Taylor

Adam Johnson loses Adidas boot deal after guilty pleas

Adam Johnson
Adam Johnson will not be involved in Sunderland’s match against Manchester United on Saturday. Photograph: Carl Recine/Reuters

Adidas has terminated its boot contract with Adam Johnson. The sportswear manufacturer reacted swiftly after the Sunderland winger pleaded guilty to one count of sexual activity with a child and one of grooming at Bradford crown court.

The 28-year-old admitted he kissed a 15-year-old girl and also grooming her, but has denied two further charges of sexual activity.

In a statement, the company said: “Adidas can confirm it has terminated its contract with footballer Adam Johnson with immediate effect. This follows his guilty pleas entered earlier this week.”

Johnson’s trial, which is expected to last around two weeks, gets under way on Friday and Sam Allardyce has confirmed the player will not be in the squad to face Manchester United at the Stadium of Light on Saturday lunchtime. “He will not be available for this weekend,” said Sunderland’s manager.

Johnson was suspended by the club after his arrest on 2 March last year but that ban was lifted when his bail was extended by five weeks a fortnight later.

He has made 20 appearance for Sunderland this season, the latest last Saturday at Liverpool when the former Middlesbrough, Manchester City and England player scored in a 2-2 draw at Anfield.

• This article was amended on 12 February 2016 to remove an inaccuracy.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.