NASHIK: The number of active containment zones in Nashik city has come down from 58 to 36 over the past month.
The Covid scenario in the division has improved a lot and out of the 36 zones, 10 are in Panchavati, eight in Nashik Road, six in Nashik East, and five each in Satpur and Nashik West divisions.
An NMC official said the virus has become mild and positivity rate has also reduced to below 0.5%. This is the reason the number of active patients has also reduced significantly, leading to drop in active containment zones too.
Currently, the city has only 213 active patients, including 204 patients in hospitals and remaining 9 patients under home isolation.
Earlier this year, in February, there were only 500 active cases in the city but thereafter the cases started to rise exponentially. And by April-end, the number of active cases had increased to 28,000.
The city had reported around 16,000 containment zones in just three months — between February and April — due to the rise in Covid positive cases.
“But the trend started to reverse from the first week of May and the cases started to drop. With drop in number of new cases, the number of active containment zones declined from over 2,000 in April to 58 by the second half of September. Now, the city has reported further drop in the number of active containment zones during the last one month,” the official said.
The first containment zone in the city was declared on April 6 last year and the first Covid patient was found in the city on the same day.
Since then, a total 37,949 containment zones have been created, out of which 37,913 zones have been removed from the list.