Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Andrew Brown

ACT travel requirements with Western Australia lifted

People travelling from Western Australia to the ACT will no longer have to fill out declaration or exemption forms upon arrival, with travel requirements set to be lifted this weekend.

The restrictions will be removed for those coming into Canberra from 9am on Saturday.

It comes as the Perth and Peel regions will no longer be classified as a COVID-19 area of concern by ACT health authorities.

The travel requirements with WA were put into effect following recent outbreaks of COVID-19 in Perth and the Peel region in April.

Those areas were placed into a snap three-day lockdown in late April after a case of COVID leaked out of hotel quarantine facilities.

Three community cases were also detected just days later in early May, but WA avoided a second lockdown despite crowds being barred from major sporting events to prevent a potential spread.

WA Premier Mark McGowan said mandatory mask wearing in public settings and restrictions on public gatherings would lift on Saturday.

Despite the lifting of travel requirements with WA, ACT health authorities said measures were still in place for returning travellers entering Canberra from Melbourne or Sydney.

Anyone who had been in Greater Sydney in the past 14 days or in Greater Melbourne since May 6 were urged to check the COVID-19 area of concern list in the event they had been in an exposure location.

"Please remember that the COVID-19 situation in states and territories can change quickly," an ACT Health spokesman said.

"If you are intending to, or have recently travelled interstate, keep checking the public health advice in the relevant state or territory before travelling, and for 14 days after returning."

Mandatory mask wearing in indoor public venues and on public transport in Greater Sydney was enforced after a positive COVID-19 case visited several venues across the city.

Health authorities were yet to determine how the case, a man in his 50s, acquired COVID-19.

Returning travellers to the ACT from WA will no longer need to fill out exemption forms.
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.