Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Lucy Bladen, Andrew Brown

State of emergency lifted from the ACT

The ACT has lifted its state of emergency as more favourable weather is forecast in the coming days.

However, rural and remote areas will remain on a state of alert due to the threat of the Orroral Valley fire.

Eastern grey kangaroos are seen in the Orroral Valley on Sunday after a bushfire swept through the area over the past week. Picture: Sitthixay Ditthavong

As of 9am on Monday, the Orroral Valley fire had burnt more than 56,000 hectares.

The fire burned at watch and act level for most of Sunday.

Firefighters will work on Monday to strengthen containment lines during more favourable conditions.

Crews will focus on the northern side of Mount Tennent and the western side of the fireground near Mount Franklin Road.

Fire authorities say smoke from backburning operations will be seen in Canberra's southern suburbs.

The Bureau of Meteorology has forecast a southerly change on Monday afternoon, which could see smoke haze return to parts of Canberra.

The fire was downgraded to advice at 2.30pm on Sunday but due to a spot fire on the western side of Half Moon Creek it was upgraded to watch and act shortly after 5pm.

ACT Emergency Services Commissioner Georgeina Whelan said there had been no significant growth of the fire on Sunday. She praised the work of crews.

"The fire continues to burn slowly down hill to containment lines on the northern flank," she said.

"Fire conditions have eased across the fire ground.

"Some outstanding work has been done today and throughout our weekend."

But the risk to rural and remote areas remained present, Ms Whelan said.

Given the ongoing firefighting operations, the commissioner will remain as the emergency controller.

Containment lines have been put in place to protect Tharwa Village and the Lanyon Valley and firefighters will remain on the ground.

Large air tankers dropped fire retardant in the Punchbowl area to the west of Tharwa on Sunday afternoon.

Earlier on Sunday, Ms Whelan warned that storms from the north-west could pose a new threat to the fire but it did not eventuate.

Ms Whelan said when the storm cell moved through it had no impact on the fireground.

Winds of up to 70 kilometres per hour were recorded in the ACT. The ESA had established an incident management team in preparation for the storm.

No significant damage had been reported.

While the state of emergency had been lifted the fire would continue to burn in the weeks to come, Ms Whelan said.

"We are not out of the wood just yet, there are many weeks of firefighting ahead of us," she said.

Chief Minister Andrew Barr warned the threat of the large Orroral Valley fire was not yet over.

MORE COVERAGE OF ACT FIRES:

"We may need to return to state of emergency if the situation requires it," he said.

"We have seen throughout this summer, weather and fire conditions can be unpredictable"

Minister for Police and Emergency Services Mick Gentleman revealed the Orroral Valley fire had burned more than 50 per cent of the Namadgi National Park.

"It is a significant ecological disaster for the territory, and there will be ramifications that we will need to address in due course," he said.

But Mr Gentleman said the crews in the park had worked to save heritage, including Aboriginal heritage.

A total fire ban in the ACT has been extended until midnight on Monday.

The Bureau of Meteorology has forecast a top of 30 degrees with winds of up to 35 kilometres per hour.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.