Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Lucy Bladen

ACT responds to reports on black summer bushfires

The ACT government dismissed a key recommendation from its bushfire advisory council to commission another review into the fires. Picture: Sitthixay Ditthavong

The ACT government has dismissed a key recommendation from its own advisory body to commission an independent review into the territory's bushfire season, saying they have already undertaken one.

It comes as the territory government expressed support for most of the recommendations made in the Commonwealth's royal commission that was convened in the wake of the 2019-20 black summer bushfires.

But the ACT government has expressed concerns about the "resource implications" of common information platforms and shared technologies between the states and territories - a key recommendation from the Royal Commission into National Natural Disaster Arrangements.

The ACT government released its responses to the two key reports about the black summer bushfires this week.

Emergency Service Minister Mick Gentleman finally responded to the ACT's Bushfire Council's preparedness report for the 2020-21 season, where the council warned of "persistent shortcomings".

The report was handed to Mr Gentleman in November but was only made public in January following a freedom of information request by The Canberra Times.

In its report, the ACT Bushfire Council said it was "concerned that there has not been a transparent account and review of the suppression operations of the 2019-20 fires in the ACT".

The ACT government has commissioned a number of external and internal reviews. This included an operational review by the Emergency Services Agency and an overall government response review.

But the council said neither review provided a "substantive documentation of the suppression operations, nor reviewed the effectiveness of current fire management strategies in assisting control of these major bushfires in unprecedented conditions".

The council recommended the territory government urgently undertake a review into these matters.

But in his response, Mr Gentleman said this had already been completed.

"The independent review provided unbiased and unconstrained analysis of the practices that worked and practices that could be improved," he said.

The council was also significantly concerned about low morale among ACT Rural Fire Service volunteers. It said the concerns of volunteers were glossed over in the ESA's review and in the ACT Legislative Assembly inquiry.

Leaked feedback from the ESA's review revealed volunteers considered walking off the Orroral Valley fireground because they felt "so disrespected".

The council recommended the matter be considered in another independent review.

But again, Mr Gentleman responded that the ESA had already worked and was continuing to address the matters raised by volunteers in the reviews.

The ACT government also published its response to the Royal Commission into National Natural Disaster Arrangements on Wednesday.

The royal commission found the federal government needed to play a bigger role in responding to future natural disasters.

As well, the commission recommended a body similar to the national cabinet be set up and called for greater harmonisation between the states and territories.

Chief Minister Andrew Barr said the territory was supportive of all the recommendations, which he said would strengthen national emergency management arrangements.

"The ACT contributed strongly to the work of the royal commission and it is pleasing to see recommendations that align with the ACT's views on how national natural disaster arrangements can be strengthened," he said.

However, the ACT government said there were "resource implications" for many of the recommendations that called for greater collaboration and information sharing between the states and territories.

"The ACT government is supportive of measures to collect and share standardised and comprehensive natural disaster impact data but the purpose and benefits of doing so must be clearly identified," the ACT government response said.

"These should be assessed against the resource implications, noting the requirement to maintain the data's accuracy."

Mr Gentleman said the ACT was progressing a wide range of initiatives consistent with the royal commission's recommendations.

"This includes climate change adaptation initiatives, enhanced public warnings and information, recovery policy and ongoing enhancement to the ACT's bushfire management practices," he said.

"The ACT is strongly engaged in national efforts to progress the recommendations ahead of the 2021-22 summer season, including updating public warning systems and working towards nationally consist disaster recovery arrangements.

"The royal commission underscored the importance of collaboration across jurisdictions and we are building on our strong working relationships with other states"

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.