
An elderly man accused of abusing children at a Victorian boys' home nearly five decades ago has faced court after being extradited from the United Kingdom.
William Skelland on Thursday faced Melbourne Magistrates Court charged with 27 offences, including buggery of a male under 14 and indecent assault, against six complainants at a boys' home in Burwood in the early 1970s.
The 81-year-old man was extradited to Melbourne on July 9 and had previously been in custody in the UK since December 2019.
Skelland broke down during his last court appearance in October, telling magistrate Donna Bakos during an online hearing he would plead guilty and wanted it "all over with".
"Im sorry, I'm so sorry," he said.
But Skelland's lawyer Josie Giarusso on Thursday said her client had reverted back to his original instructions and wanted to fight some of the charges once again.
"He was feeling upset," Ms Giarusso told the court.
"He is in custody and has been for a long time. He was feeling hopeless about his situation, but since then has reflected on what he wants to do and his instructions remain the same."
In response Ms Bakos said: "If ever there was a case that should be settled - this is the one."
Skelland has been remanded in custody and is expected to face a committal hearing on February 7.